Hyperhidrosis, or excessive sweating, affects nearly 10 million people in the United States and can cause considerable embarrassment and affect a person’s professional or social life. It is a condition that can make it uncomfortable to shake hands for example, or be around social events. Dr. George Solomon at Solomon Cosmetic Center in Tampa, FL, has the solution.
Both Botox® Cosmetic and Dysport® use compounds from the same drug family, namely Abobotulinum Toxin A, to combat wrinkles. This same compound is extremely effective in stopping the chain of reactions that lead to excessive sweat production. Just as Botox® Cosmetic or Dysport® weakens the muscles under the skin to eliminate wrinkles, injecting the compound in the underarm can disable neurotransmitters that are involved in sweat production. The effect is temporary but strong enough to disable the neurotransmitters from stimulating sweat production. Individuals who undergo the treatment notice a marked decrease in perspiration in the area.
How Long Does Botox® Cosmetic and Dysport® Last?
Botox® Cosmetic and Dysport® injections for hyperhidrosis last up to six months, with much lower levels of sweat production during that period. Keeping hyperhidrosis permanently under control is as simple as repeating the treatment every four to six months.
- Excessive sweating can be caused primarily by a focal condition or secondarily by a medical condition, or as a result of adverse effects of medications. Once the condition or the medication is stopped, the excessive sweating stops.
- Excessive sweating usually occurs on both the left and right sides of the body for males and females.
- The most common affected areas are hands, feet, underarms, face, and head.
- Hyperhidrosis is thought to be caused by an over-active sympathetic nervous system and can have dire consequences, especially if an individual is meek or anxious to begin with.
- Primary focal hyperhidrosis often starts early in childhood or adolescence, especially sweating of the hands and feet.
If you suffer from hyperhidrosis, contact Dr. George Solomon to see if Botox® Cosmetic or Dysport® injections are right for you. Dr. Solomon attracts patients come from all over Florida including Tampa, Miami, Orlando, St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Brandon, Palm Harbor, and Largo. For a free consultation please call 727-288-9988 or fill out the contact form.
Each patient is unique; therefore, results of any treatment may vary.